Hydrovolts’ waterfall turbine leverages a cross-flow runner design, a proven concept that maximizes water throughput for high efficiency power generation. Unlike most other waterfall turbines, the WF-10-15 is pioneering patent-pending technology that can allow the turbine to accommodate sudden and wide variation in flow volume – exactly as is commonly seen in waste water treatment plants and other industrial applications – without affecting plant operations. Like all Hydrovolts products, the turbine is designed for reliability and easy install: the turbine can be installed and producing power in just hours.
Over the 20-year product lifetime, the cost of energy will be between $.03-.08/kWh depending on site conditions – a figure that is competitive with traditional forms of energy and does not include subsidies. Hydrovolts can achieve this low cost with a high efficiency turbine that takes advantage of constant flows to create a high capacity factor. Unlike solar or wind technologies, Hydrovolts turbines work rain or shine – all you need is water.
Siting Requirements (can also accommodate angled drops):
- 6 foot drop
- 5 foot wide
- Minimum average flow of 5 MGD
At highest flows, water will simply flow around the turbine. The customer also has the option of installing multiple turbines along the lip of the outfall to maximize power output. Click here to learn if your site will work.
- Product Dimensions:
- – Height: 2’ rotor, and adjustable penstock (up to 14’ high)
- – Width: 5’ wide at widest part
- – Depth: 4’ deep
- – Weight: 2,000 pounds dry weight
- Power Output:
- – 3-15 kW, depending on height and flow (graph below)
- – Can be conditioned to appropriate voltage
- – Inverter included in package
- – Can be used on site or sold back to grid
- – Can be installed alone or in greater numbers to increase total power output
- – 20-year lifetime
- – LCOE between $.03-$.08, depending on site
- – Incentives may improve payback; check with local authorities